Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice--repair or replace my 2000 ML 320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 clk
Need advice--repair or replace my 2000 ML 320?

Greetings all and thanks in advance for your feedback.
(this is my first post. Let me know if I have inadvertently failed to follow protocol.)

I have a 2000 ML 320 with 248,000 miles on it. I purchased it new in December 1999, and have maintained faithfully, first at the dealer, then later at a factory trained independent MB mechanic. I have run it with Mobil 1 since new and the oil has been changed every 5-10k miles (except when it was new and the dealer limited my "included with purchase" free oil changes to every 25,000 miles).

This car has been my wife's daily driver for 7 years, and she still loves it, but it has always used oil. It shows no noticeable blue smoke, and no leaks, but I have had to add a quart every 3,000 miles or so for the last couple of years/50,000 miles or so.

Here's where I need advice: just recently, it seems to be using a quart more like every 500-1,000 miles. I am concerned that this acceleration of usage is a sign that the end is near. I'd like to keep the car if this can be fixed in a cost-effective way, but I lack the knowledge to evaluate this on my own. While I trust my mechanic, this is once when I'd prefer an outside opinion.

What is your advice about addressing the oil usage, and the options to address it if I keep the car?

thanks again for your advice all-

kevin