Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird head-rest problem on clk w209!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
Weird head-rest problem on clk w209!?

Just bought myself a 2002 clk w209 the other day, and now i have discovered a weird problem, the car has memory seats and the problem is when i use the button for adjusting the head-rest up/down nothing happens (driver side). But i can hear some relays clicking when i try to use it, so the switch itself should be fine. And when i pull the seat forward, the headrest automaticly goes down for making space when passengers goes in the back. So the electric motor also obviously is ok! Wtf is the problem here? Only thing that comes in mind is wiring from the relays to the seat? But where is this relay mounted? Anyone experienced the same problem with their clk? Maybe a known location for broken wiring? Every tip is appreciated thank you.

Mats
Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 134 Posts
2012 C300 4MATIC Sport
I fixed the headrest not going down and not going down when the seat is tilted forward yesterday.

Here is what I did:

-Took the seat's back cover by unscrewing the two screws at the bottom of the cover

-Removed the headrest by pulling it out of the two white cups that hold it there.

-Pushed the motor assembly to the right (towards passenger seat) and removed it.

-Removed a black cover on the motor assembly which hides a gear.

-Removed the motor from the assembly

-Removed the connector/board from the motor which WAS THE PROBLEM. The solder joints from where the cable connects to the motor were bad and loose. (picture at the end).

-Re-soldered the 4 joints and put everything back together.

Now everything works perfectly. I'll be more than happy to provide more details if needed.

^ You can see the 4 solder joints on the right and how they are almost empty. I re-soldered those.