Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003 | 01:28 AM

Tranny issues

I recently purchased an e55 1999 with 55K miles. I have some tranny shifting issues. On my cross country drive home, I had the trans lose gear altogether when attempting a pass at about 60mph. The pedal was floored, the engine raced and then sounded like it was going to downshift but then lost gear totally.
When I coasted over to the shoulder it still was in nuetral even though the shifter was in D. I put the car in P and then back in D and the car ran fine.

I also have a delay in shifting manually from 1-2 and 2-3 when revving the motor to about 5800. Sometimes there is a couple of second delay and then wack. The tranny then shifts.

I have read tell of "remapping", does this work? My car is under a third party warranty until 100k and I would like to get this corrected. I have also read another e55 owner got his clutch pack and trans "computer" replaced to correct this problem.

It seems this issues are pretty common but no one has clearly identified a solution.
Will I have issues with my warranty company if I want to get this fixed? Is this a Dealer job or should I take it to a trans shop?
Thanks
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
I think this is an issue of your insurance policy. If the dealer sold you the insurance (or provided it) you need to go back there and file the claim of fixing the tranny. (check your insurance whether the tranny is covered) What you describe is a clear tranny problem.
I would not suggest to see another shop, since normally the seller of the car and the insurance provider have an escalation process how to proceed in those cases.
Old 08-18-2003 | 09:05 PM

'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Curious as to what you did....

I have slow shifting problems in my 99 CLK 430 and also have a third party warranty as I bought the car used from the second owner and the warranty transferred to my name. Never had it shift to neutral but it doesn't shift with any kind of performance. Can the dealer reset the transmission shifting patterns?
thanks,
Blake