Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Replacement on '99 C280

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 C280
Head Gasket Replacement on '99 C280

I need to replace the head gasket on my 1999 C280.

Some background, initally I noticed the coolant level gage turn on then the check engine light. Looking deeper I found coolant in the oil and low compression in cyliner #4.

I have never done this relacemement on a MB. The only instructions I have so far are form ALLDATAdiy.com. It looks like I have to take apart the whole top half of the engine + radiator to get to the gasket. Since this is a pretty big job I am looking for some experience form the membership and comments on how to get this job done with minmum mess and problems. Do I need the special tools for handling fuel and coolant drain? Any precautions I should take - outside of the usual timing chain topics? Are there better instructions out there and where can I get them?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
After you take the heads off, send them to a machine shop and have them check for warpage before putting them back on.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM

'99 C280
Would you do both gaskets even though only the right one needs to be changed out? Doing the left head gasket seems like more work than the right one.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
Do both. The left takes less than 2 more hours than the right. A lot of the labor is the same. Doing them both at the same time, will be a lot less work. Then doing one now, and one later.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:32 PM

'99 C280
Stumped

I pulled both heads and don't see any signs of coolant to oil leaks. The only irregularity I found is a .010" step between the block and timing cover where coolant returns to the thermostat - see pics of the block, cover, and gasket.
The driver side valve cover and vent line to air intake show signs of milky oil - likely result of evaporation from oil pan? Lack of compression turned out to be a leak on intake valves - seats look good I'll lap all of them before reassembly.
At this point I'm stumped - with 2 liters of coolant gone in 2 weeks + no appreciable oil level change + no signs of coolan in exhaust, no signs of coolant path to oil in the head gasket, heads flat, no signs of head crack on the fire surface. What can it be? Has anyone seem anything like this before? Is it possible that the coolant leaked from the return passage into the timing cover to the timing chain slot and evaporated out of the oil pan at a rate where it would not raise the oil level drastically? What should I do to find the smoking gun?
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Replacement on '99 C280-cover-joint.jpg   Head Gasket Replacement on '99 C280-gasket-detail.jpg