Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 C280 problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 280
97 C280 problems

My C280 started acting a little crazy lately.

For the past couple weeks I noticed the car does not idle very well. When stopped and in gear, the idle keeps varying between 750 and 450 rpm and it feels alsmot like the engine is about to stall. When I shift to neutral, the idle goes higher but still varies a little.

Last week while driving home, the engine started running very rough and the CE light came on. I scanned it and came up with cylinder 6 misfire. The plugs have never been replaced so I bought a new set and replaced all 6. The car ran fine for a couple days, then yesterday the same thing again. I scanned the codes, same misfire, cleared it and its back to OK for now but still has the rough idle.

Is there anything else I can check in the car? Could this just be a case of bad gasoline? I'm thinking I should put some fuel-injector cleaner in with the next fillup.

The car has only 30k miles on it.

Also, does anyone know if there is a service manual available for these cars? I plan to do all my own maintenance on it and a manual would help. For one thing, how do you change the trans fluid?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

C280
It sounds like you could possibly use a tune-up. How many miles are on the car? Just replacing the plugs is sometimes not enough. You may need to put new wires on it as well. Also check the dist cap & rotor to make sure they are in good shape.

If the tune-up doesn't help, it is possible that there is a vac. leak somewhere that is causing the rough idle, but the misfire code would lead me back to the tune-up idea.

Check with your dealer to order the repair manual. It is a bit more expensive than a Haynes or Chilton manual, but it goes into much greater detail.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM

97 E320
hajami, when you replace the plugs make sure you replace the rubber boot (plug end) to the plug. they are known to crack and give you the misfire codes. they cost 2-3 dollars each.

delta
Old 08-13-2003, 05:06 PM

C 280
The car has only 30,000 miles on it but is a 97 model.

What would I need to change/replace for the tune-up?

For the rubber boots on the plug wires, are those part of the wires so would they be replaced with a new set?

For the manual, I can't find one at either chilton or haynes. Even Mercedes doesn't offer one for the W202.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If memory serves, the M104 has individual coils that can act up. Worth checking.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:12 PM

C 280
I know cylinder 6 has a coil on top of it. How would I go about checking if thats the problem though?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19 PM
Almost a Member!

C280
MB must have some manual for their service techs to look at. You should ask them what their techs are using and tell them to order one for you. I did the same for my Lexus and it was well worth the $300 they charged me for it. You may also be able to find some basic info on CD - try eBay for the CD.