Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil/filter M113 change per MB tech-controversial!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Oil/filter M113 change per MB tech-controversial!

I spoke to my MB dealership tech who is a personal friend from another part of the country. He encouraged me to change my own oil and filter on my "out of warranty" G500 since the A service is due. (As you know this car/engine does NOT have a supercharger.) His dealership uses an oil extractor extracting through the dipstick rather than removing/replacing (any cladding and shields) the drain screw and copper crusher washer in the aluminum pan. I have a MityVac MV7300. I use Mobil 0-40 religiously with an OEM or a Mann filter. Ok so far. What he told me next goes against the "conventional wisdom" that one should warm the engine oil before changing it - he says leave it COLD!

His advice: Without starting the car, extract the oil and change the filter AFTER the car has been sitting overnight level in the garage. The benefit is that the cold oil has drained down, out of the operating and top end of the engine as well as the filter, into the oil pan. Thus you are extracting the vast majority of the oil in the engine with your handy extractor.

If you think about it this method makes sense. I am going to follow his instructions this week and report back in detail.

Comments?

Last edited by grane; 02-05-2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Gravity is your friend. And I know that this has been discussed before. But given that a G500 is high off the ground. Crawl under there, drain from the plug nice hot oil with all the contaminants nicely suspended in the oil AND let it sit over night. It will all drain down from the top and right out the bottom.

Cold oil - all settled to the bottom of the pan - with all the junk at the very bottom, and a little plastic tube is expected to suck it up... No way.