Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML350 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e320 wagon
ML350 Transmission issue

Hello 1st off we, My wife and I are huge MB fans we have had several and still do. My work vehicle is a 2008 ML350. I was just at the dealer yesterday for my service A, Normally I do this however pressed for time and I also wanted them to check over the vehicle. The service rep mentioned to me that I need to have my Transmission service done. I said sure go ahead and do this. I drove the car home 4 hrs from the dealer and it worked fine only to have the display this morning when I went to use the vehicle tell me to drive to the dealer ASAP and do not shift gears. not only is this not feasible it would not go into any gear. no noise, no clunk, no servo sounds just would not go into any gear. Now what do I do, I can not move my ML, and the dealer is 4 hrs away. What could be the trouble? This has never left me down b4.
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions,
Paul
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Sounds like a ISM problem....that is intelligent servo module. It's what shifts it from P R N D.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM

2001 e320 wagon
Originally Posted by Shifter
Sounds like a ISM problem....that is intelligent servo module. It's what shifts it from P R N D.
So is this ISM disturbed during the trans service?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
It is mounted on the left side of trans, unfortunately it is not disturbed during a service. It is also non serviceable , just replace.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
( and must be programmed and married to vin.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by e320 4 mom
Quote:

mb tech here. yes it is possible that the tech may have unhooked it as well as the oxygen sensors (not that the o2 sen has anything to do with ur problem) in order to gain complete free access to the transmission pan. if he did so it could have not been fully connected back upon completion of the transmission service... accidents do happen and we also get rushed. sorry not trying to make excuses. first off. id call the dealer back immediately. tell them what happened and then get mb roadside to tow your car to the dealer..they should, you did pay for it. if the dealer is anything like ours all it would take would be one phone call and theyd be all over it. just tell them like you said. had your flex a and transmission service done. drove home and now it wont shift into gear. fix it. should be that easy. well at least I hope. I hope this helps at all.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM

1999 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by e320 4 mom
Quote:

let me clarify a little more. the ism is on the left side of the transmission. BUT the harness which supplies power comes down from the back of the engine on the right side then comes down around the pan on the left side to connect to the ism. thats what I was meaning when I said it is possible that it could have been unhooked to gain full access to the trans pan i.e all the harnesses in the way. the ISM module itself does not move.

Posted from Mbworld.org App for Android
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, SL63, ML550
Some techs do unplug it. With that bing said unfit was left unplugged the car would have not left the parking lot. The connector has 3 locks on it make it very secure.

Now I'm not saying its impossible that it came unplugged just very unlikely.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

1999 C43 AMG
Some techs do unplug it. With that bing said unfit was left unplugged the car would have not left the parking lot. The connector has 3 locks on it make it very secure.

Now I'm not saying its impossible that it came unplugged just very unlikely.
i agree. i never take it loose. but i know everybody is different. and just saying that as you never know kinda scenario.