Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No front turn signals 2002 c230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No front turn signals 2002 c230

2002 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
Auto-Trans, Cruise control, ESP, Moonroof, Heated Front seats, Headlight Washer, Rain Sensing Wipers,AM/FM Cassette Player (No Phone or CD),
205/55-R16 Tires- Factory Rims 10 Spoke(5 Pairs)
71300 miles

I had a “Front R Signal Failure” display on the dashboard.
These are “Amber” signal lights that are located above the main headlight in the same housing.
I purchased 2 so I could change them both.
I removed the lamp holders from the housing, I noticed that there were no wires going to the holders so I figured the wiring is incorporated into the housing.

After I changed them the dashboard trouble indicator read that I had both Left & Right lamps out.
I checked the 2 bulbs with my multimeter & the filaments were good.
I checked EVERY single fuse I could in all the locations, they were all good. I did notice that on the fusecard about the turn signals 1 location ID stated the word“Electronic” instead of a fuse ID number.
I purchased new bulbs to no avail the same problem persists.
These front turn signals are on the upper portion of the main headlights oval shaped lens.
The signal lights located on the front(s) of the side-view mirrors & the side amber lens near the front bumper are functioning. It's only the ones above the headlights.
All other lights are functional.

Any ideas?
Thank you for any help.

Last edited by Joe Loudoe; 03-28-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect sentence structure & spacing.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Lighting is controlled by the SAM (Signal Acquisition Module).
This vehicle has two:

* One in the engine compartment that has been superseded seven times to MB# 2039060005 due to issues.. As I recall, this one controls external lighting.

* One in the trunk (Left behind the liner - panel) that has been superseded once to MB# 0035455201 due to issues..

I strongly suggest rechecking these part numbers against your VIN# to assure the correct component is ordered.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 PM

Thank you for the info.
I assume I can only get these modules from the dealer?
Also I'm not clear on " rechecking these part numbers against your VIN#" are these the most current part #'s? And when you say "issues" have these been recalled
Either way, I can't thank you enough for your help! Joe
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by Joe Loudoe
Thank you for the info.
I assume I can only get these modules from the dealer?
Also I'm not clear on " rechecking these part numbers against your VIN#" are these the most current part #'s? And when you say "issues" have these been recalled
Either way, I can't thank you enough for your help! Joe
Correct.
Each module must be VIN# matched to your car + many modules are now considered security components.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 AM

1999 C43
It needs a turn signal harness update! Probably on both sides. Common issue!!!!! $60 in parts. Check for signs of burning on the turn signal socket tabs!!!