Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slk R171 TPMS (RDK) retrofit help requested

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55
Slk R171 TPMS (RDK) retrofit help requested

Hi all
I've signed up and introduced myself - great site btw....

One of the main reasons for signing up here is for some assistance with a TPMS (or RDK as its known in Germany) on a 2005 R171 SLK

First, some back ground...

This is a retrofit using the correct MB part from a 2008 vehicle, amd the correct wheel sensors for the Highline TPMS (option 475)
UK Car... AMG model
DAS Version 03 2012 on a Dell Laptop, Chinese clone MUX

The hardware is installed (wheel sensors and the ECU in the rear electronics bay) and connected up. It's been through the initial startup and as far as DAS is concerned, it's fully functional - I can see the actual tire pressures and temperatures (after the wake up period) and all of the activiations and messages (in the actual values section)
CGW is configured to show the options for the Tire Pressure Monitor (option 475) and the Tire pressure warning is disabled (both in the CGW module and the ESP module)
Using Dev mode DAS, I can enable the car outline display (from the main mileage reading, press up on the steering wheel arrow buttons to get to this once enabled) and the reset button on the side of the cluster then acts as a reset for the TPMS values - when pressed the screen changes to the 'Are tire pressures correct' screen, and you can select Yes or No with the + /- buttons on the wheel..

The snag is there is now pressure displayed, just dashes...

Inspection with DAS shows an error in the IC - 9115 - Fault in CAN communication with the control unit RDK tire pressure control....

I also get a malfunction showing on the dosplay when starting the car - picture of a tire with an exclamation mark and the message saying Display Fault, visit workshop (if I disable the car outline display in the variant coding section of the IC this error goes away, but so does the TPMS display....)

Kind of stuck now - been through stacks of options, had the car set as US / CDN as opposed to ROW and re done the initial startup, checked all of the variant coding options in the RDK (N88) module - all seem fine...

It's odd - I can access and fully interrogate the TPMS ECU in DAS and read all of the correct values (it shows pressure and temperature changes when they have been made), it just seems that the TPMS ECU isn't talking to the IC - have I missed anything or has anyone else got any extra info on the TPMS retrofit...

Many thanks
S
Old 04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

It sounds like a damaged wire harness or module.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55
Hi

thanks for the reply...

The wiring harness is fine and has been checked out...

I've taken delivery of a second TPMS module and hooked that up - after doing an Initial startup of the module things are exactly the same. I've even used a different harness / power port and link into the CAN network....

As before, the module(s) are available to DAS, report the correct pressures and temperatures and work as advertised, just not updating the display on the Instrument cluster - the car outline is left with dashes where the values should be...

Numerous resets via the R button on the side of the cluster make no difference.. (these are logged in the TPMS ECU so I can confirm that the reset is working...)

Odd eh..?

Cheers
S
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Hmm

Scratches head..

I can only conclude there is a software configuration or compatibility issue.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
it takes about 10 miles or so for the tire pressure to reset after you clear it. i'd reset and drive it for a while to see if it senses the tire pressure.