Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300
Oil Change Question

Hey guys. Just acquired a 2009 C300 with only 28.8K on the odometer. Since there were no service records available for the car and it was quickly approaching the 30K mark, I decided to just go ahead and do a few things, like change the oil and air filters. I completed these services, but had a few questions.

Side Note: Don't try to change the oil in a car that holds 8.5 qts with a 7 qt. oil pan. Don't remember the last time I scrambled that fast to find another drain pan!

1. MB calls for the oil to be changed every 10K miles. I've never owned a car with an oil change interval that long. Even when using the type of oil recommended by MB, do you still recommend going that long, or are shorter intervals a better idea. I'm not hard on my cars and don't drive under extreme conditions.

2. I've done hundreds of oil changes in my life, and after the oil change the oil on the dipstick is usually quite clean. I noticed on my car that even after the change the oil was more discolored than I'm used to seeing. Is this normal due to the 10K intervals?

3. If the darker color of the oil isn't normal, should I do something like change it in 5K miles (35K), then again in another 5K (40K) to help clean out the buildup that is discoloring the oil.

4. For those of you that do your own services, have you found it difficult to find appropriate oil. According to the book, due to summer temps here I need an oil with a top viscosity of at least 40, but finding any full synthetics above 30 was nearly impossible. The only full synthetic I could find was Castrol Edge 10W-40, which could be problematic for the coldest part of the winter. I really hate the thought of having to have oil shipped in just to get the right type/weight of oil.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Use the search feature at the top of this forum.

All your questions have been answered numerous times in great detail.