Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing fan clutch with electric fans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2013 | 03:00 PM

'03 ML320, '06 Mountaineer Premier
replacing fan clutch with electric fans

I have an ML320 and i noticed my fan is feeling a bit loose. a new clutch at the local auto parts store is $200 plus. is anyone removing this altogether and adding electric fans? what size is good to use? one or two? any ideas would be great, thank you.
Old 04-06-2013 | 07:20 PM

'03 ML320, '06 Mountaineer Premier
replaced fan and clutch with electric fan

I haven't received any replies nor could I find I'd anyone else has done this top save a few dollars so I did it. My clutch wasn't doing is job 100% and when I was at the MB dealer, they said I need a new belt, so I went to it. And found my belt not to have a single crack or dry rot, so the dealer tried charging me $185 for a belt I don't need, it still has the part number and Mercedes logo printed on it for crying out loud. Anyway, I removed the shroud, removed the old fan and clutch, very very easy to do. And I purchased a 16" electric fan that claims to push 1200cfm. A 16" fits perfectly into the fan shroud opening. I decided to go with one fan WITH the shroud versus 2 without because fans do pull a lot of amps and I already have a killer stereo system. I decided to save a few more bucks and do a direct switch instead of the auto turn on kit. After all, a lot of my driving is on highways, and for the little stop and go, ill just flip the fans on. Save money and the fans life. It's seems to be pulling a good amount of air. And I am running it on a 35 amp toggle with a 25 amp fuse inline to the batter with 12guage wire, so it isn't a quick, unthought, cheapo job. It's done right. If anybody wants, ill posts pics.
Old 04-08-2013 | 11:55 AM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Yes

Originally Posted by jphillips472
I haven't received any replies nor could I find I'd anyone else has done this top save a few dollars so I did it. My clutch wasn't doing is job 100% and when I was at the MB dealer, they said I need a new belt, so I went to it. And found my belt not to have a single crack or dry rot, so the dealer tried charging me $185 for a belt I don't need, it still has the part number and Mercedes logo printed on it for crying out loud. Anyway, I removed the shroud, removed the old fan and clutch, very very easy to do. And I purchased a 16" electric fan that claims to push 1200cfm. A 16" fits perfectly into the fan shroud opening. I decided to go with one fan WITH the shroud versus 2 without because fans do pull a lot of amps and I already have a killer stereo system. I decided to save a few more bucks and do a direct switch instead of the auto turn on kit. After all, a lot of my driving is on highways, and for the little stop and go, ill just flip the fans on. Save money and the fans life. It's seems to be pulling a good amount of air. And I am running it on a 35 amp toggle with a 25 amp fuse inline to the batter with 12guage wire, so it isn't a quick, unthought, cheapo job. It's done right. If anybody wants, ill posts pics.
Please post pictures of this modification.
Thanks.

whunter@pelicanparts.com