Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w211 cdi esp abs question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 cdi, 300d, diesel excursion, diesel f250, cummins power class c motor home
w211 cdi esp abs question

I'm new here please help.. I have read evey post I could find on my problem but still need advise.. Working on wife's 2005 e320 cdi. Had intermittent abs esp loss of speed steering. Star said L6/2 right abs sensor. I replaced it with FEBI sensor and problem when from intermittent esp abs light to permenant. I traced wires from sensor to sbc and from sbc to ecu all wires appear good. no sign of water on ecu and sbc has been replaced. no code specific for ecu or sbc failure only check right front abs sensor and rotor. I pulled hub bearing and seal appear good. I've ordered new magnetic seal from MB to make sure. My next step is going to be swap drivers abs sensor to passenger side and see if fault follows.. If it follows I will swap driver hub to passender side and see what happens. I dont want to be buying 250 dollars hubs.. Some one here have any advise please help.. I pay a guy a few mile away to plug into STAR for me, but its getting expensive and time consuming.... thanks
oh ya monitored each wheel speed and the right front wheel appeared to be little different up and down by 1 to 1/2 MPH in speed reporting than the other three.. what gives, I hope the new seal will help..
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 PM

2003 S55
Sounds like wiring to me. It could be a break in the harness which intermittently presents itself... Now that you've disturbed it, the break is a permanent failure. I know 221s and 164s had problems with the wire that runs to the wheel speed sensor/brake pad sensor. When you are doing the continuity test of the wiring (from ESP control unit to wheel speed sensor), shake the harness to see if you get a difference in the resistance reading.

Last edited by Chrisblack99gt; 04-09-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM

The car only has 60k and is garage kept the wiring continuity seamed good although I did not move harness and check for resistance movement.. It appears the path is from sensor to SBC to ECU.. I could be wrong.. thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM

well I replaced the magnetic innter wheel seal and the codes have gone.. They were inttermittent to begin with so 100% it was the problem. If I don't have problems for a week or so I believe it will be OK. Also the inner seal from SKF cost 3.11 and it has a mercedes part number on it and the little star; it's far me from MB