Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Go keys authorized on 2 cars?

Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
Keyless Go keys authorized on 2 cars?

My wife and I have a 2013 GLK and a 2013 E350.
Can keys be authorized on more than one car? Can our keys be validated to each others' cars?

In the tech side, I am curious if the car is simply reading the key code, or is there two-way validation occurring where the key validates itself to the car via a two-way authentication process (like public key encryption, to bi-directional challenge and response).

Thanks,
Old 04-13-2013, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
It can only be programmed to one vehicle and not two different ones at the same time. I don't think i would want the keys to be able to be programmed to multiple vehicles at once. Yeah it would be cool to only carry one key for a few of your cars, but think about what can be done on the illegal side of it.

Aaron
Old 04-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 CLS550 4Matic; 2010 E550, 2007 SL550
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
It can only be programmed to one vehicle and not two different ones at the same time. I don't think i would want the keys to be able to be programmed to multiple vehicles at once. Yeah it would be cool to only carry one key for a few of your cars, but think about what can be done on the illegal side of it.
Yeah. There's some possible vulnerabilities, but not any more than having another key made.
It would be cool to have one key for two cars.
Oh well.....
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by WHTEVO

Aaron
Also doesn't the key capture info regarding the car? Service data is just one example. Additionally, aren't the seat/mirror positions etc linked to the individual key? How could that data be linked to two cars?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by BigHat
Also doesn't the key capture info regarding the car? Service data is just one example. Additionally, aren't the seat/mirror positions etc linked to the individual key? How could that data be linked to two cars?
Just memory settings. No other vehicle data is captured.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 SL550
Originally Posted by awiner
Just memory settings. No other vehicle data is captured.
That's enough though to make it an impossible goal.

Maybe I've been mislead, but I've been told the key also records any fault codes and that's why they plug the key into a sensor when I bring the car in for service. Not true?