Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SL500 antenna troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes SL 500
SL500 antenna troubleshooting

Hi All,
My electric antenna stopped working a while back in the down position then, after returning from an extended stay away I had to disconnect and recharge the battery.
Surprise, surprise, it started working again. Now it has stopped again but in the up position. At least I have reception.
I am in the process of accessing/removing it to troubleshoot it.
I have read K6JFRs page on the hirschmann antenna and am comfortable doing that, but I want to make sure it is not a power feed issue before dismantling it.
Also, regarding the removal, I have removed the CD changer and am trying to get the trim piece out to improve access. I know this is not totally necessary as the trim can be man handled enough to gain access, but with the antenna stuck extended i am going to need the room.
The problem here is I have all the top bolts out of the bracket, I can see the bottom bolt threads coming up but, for the life of me, I cannot locate the heads underneath the car. Tell me I am not that much of an idiot!!
If anyone could provide any advice on these two items it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes SL 500
Bolt update.
Ignore this. After I changed reading glasses I realized they were studs and nuts, not captive nuts and bolts as first thought. I blame it on age!!