Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear door handle doesn't open door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
rear door handle doesn't open door

I have a 2004 C230. Everything on the right rear door works properly except the inside door handle won't open the door. I removed the door panel and the handle cable was connected to the handle. I assume the cable is not connected at the other end but, I can't see it because it disappears into a black box. Anybody know how to access the cable from that end? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:46 PM

1997 E420, 1997 E420 Sport and 1990 300CE
Originally Posted by rhelber
I have a 2004 C230. Everything on the right rear door works properly except the inside door handle won't open the door. I removed the door panel and the handle cable was connected to the handle. I assume the cable is not connected at the other end but, I can't see it because it disappears into a black box. Anybody know how to access the cable from that end? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't specically know about your car, but just had that problem on a 97 E420 that I bought...took the door panel off and looked at the routing of the cable...the black sleeve that the cable is surrounded by was not engaged inside the part located on the interior door panel itself. Once I pulled the sleeve into the correct routing it worked famously...I hope I am explaining it so you understand....

Does your door work when you disengage the cable from the door panel? It should open when you pull on the cable with it disconnected....to make sure it is not something inside the door where it "disappears".
Old 06-08-2013, 08:04 PM

C230
rhelber

90300, thanks for the post. My cable is routed correctly and pulls when the inside handle is pulled. It is just not engaging on the opposite end but, like I say, I can't see inside of where it attaches. Need a diagram of what it attaches too and how it comes apart
Old 02-04-2016, 04:53 PM

2004 C240 4Matic
Further Information?

Dear rhelber,

Did you ever get the rear door fixed? I have the same problem. I would prefer not to start taking things apart before I know whether you were able to access that black box.

Thanks,

Brzeszczyszczykiewicz