Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Air Filter housing on a W220

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Removing Air Filter housing on a W220

I can't see to figure out how to remove the air filter housing to expose the air filters on my w220. I think i'm missing the obvious and overcomplicating the situation. I believe the air filter housing is held together by the screws below. However, most air filter housing units are held together by clamps. It shouldn't be that difficult to open the air filter housing. Am I missing something here?

thanks

Old 03-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The whole black plastic housing pulls up and off the intake manifold. Just pull straight up front first, then rear. The whole unit is help on by metal clamps that clamp around rubber mounts (You can see one of them in your second picture). Once the enitre unit is off, turn it upside down and you will see the numerous Torx screws that need to be loosened to separate the unit and gain access to the filters.

To re-install, reverse your procedure.

And while you are at it, clean up some of that dirt/dust in the engine compartment.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks awiner. The housing unit pulled right off. Now I need is a torx screwdriver hehe. Coming from a mechanically-incompetent family sucks.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
w212 2013 E250CDI 4-Matic
Found this old thread but at least I am missing the images for this? I am about to change airfilter/s AND AirMassFilter on my S500 2000and would like some assistance.