Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300CE Fan Belt / Pulley question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 300CE Fan Belt / Pulley question

Hi,

I just picked up my 2nd Mercedes. (1989 300CE) and I had a question (Until my service manual arrives) about the Pulley directly behind the yellow cooling fan.

I was hearing a slight "whirring noise" and it seems that the fan is just barely rubbing. (toward the engine side). On closer inspection (after thinking it was a bad fan clutch), I notice that when I move the fan, I'm actually moving the entire pulley and belt.

SInce I can't seem to see it. Can anyone tell me how the pulley is mounted , what bolt/nut size etc?. It appears that the fan clutch is fine but any info would be appreciated. I'm obviously not driving / starting this until it's corrected.

T.I.A.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
The fan clutch is bolted to the shaft with a single hex bolt (8mm hex) through the center of the clutch. The hub can be locked with a bent 6mm rod inserted from the back; there are two ribs on the aluminum fan bearing housing and a hole in the shaft flange for this purpose. The likely cause for the play is impending failure of the bearings in the bracket. This is not an uncommon failure as the mileage gets to around 100,000 and above. The solution is to replace the fan bearing housing (I belive the official name for the part is fan bearing bracket). I think the part is $150-200.