Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Airbag Installed - SRS ALERT -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2013 | 02:37 PM

2012 Mercedes CLS 550
New Airbag Installed - SRS ALERT -

I installed an AMG steering wheel to replace my base model steering wheel.

Disconnected power before proceeding.

After removing the air bag, could not get the center anchor screw loose to remove the steering wheel.

Reattached power to drive to Home Depot to purchase a torque wrench for use in removing the screw. (FYI - it worked great.)

Turned on ignition and received 'SRS Malfunction' alert. Since I didn't have an airbag attached I didn't think much of it and headed off to Home Depot.

Now I have everything in place. The steering wheel works perfectly and the airbag is installed.

However, I am still getting the SRS alert.

Am guessing that I should not have reconnected the battery without having an airbag attached and now have to go to the dealer for a computer system re-set.

Does anyone know another option? Is there a way to clear this? Or...is it just best to go to the dealer and be better safe than sorry.

Last edited by im4umia; 11-07-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2013 | 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
There is nothing wrong other than a fault code when you turned on the ignition/auxillary when the airbag was removed. Find an independent shop that has a SDS and they can turn it off. Otherwise the dealer will clear the fault code and charge your 1 hr of labor time.