Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 2007 E550 722.9: Will MB help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 Sport
Replacing 2007 E550 722.9: Will MB help?

Apologies in advance if I don't use all the correct terminology or if this is in the wrong place. I am new to MB cars and this forum, FWIW.

I bought a 2007 E550 with 30K in February. The dealer that sold me the car also sold the car when it was new *and* maintained the car meticulously from 0 to 30K. They serviced the car right before I bought it. I did not buy an extended warranty.

Last week I heard a small grinding noise when I started the car. Sounded like it was coming from the transmission. I took the car to the dealer to have a look.

Long story short, the service advisor very matter-of-factly told me that I need a new transmission at a cost of $6,300 plus tax. There was no formal diagnosis about whether it's a pump or a bearing assembly, but there were lots of metal shavings in the pan.

Needless to say, I am not thrilled. The car just hit 40K, and I'm having a hard time with being asked to pay more than 25% of what I just paid for the car to replace the transmission.

From what I can see, this is not the first time something like this has happened with a 722.9 transmission.

What do you think my odds are that MB (or the dealer) will cover the entire cost of the replacement, especially given the sale and maintenance history? Might they at least kick in some percentage of the parts and labor? If nothing else, I would expect that the dealer would not seek to make a profit on this repair.

Just looking for some feedback on my future given that technically I am out of warranty.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
99 E 300TD, 02 E320, 2013 ML350
They most likely will help you out. Since you bought it from them go have a talk with your writer and service manager. If they don't cover the entire cost for the repair they usually will cover 50/50 or they will cover parts and you pay labor. Talk to them first and if you don't get any help, call the CAC at MBUSA