Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP System Explanation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
ESP System Explanation

I have felt the ESP system intervene a few times under different cornering manuvers.

I found this web site that has several animated and video clips with explanations and illustrations of how ESP stsyem monitors and intervenes to help control the car's motion.

http://www.kraftfahrzeugtechnik-heut...dex_aktion.jsp

The notion of compairing steering wheel position to rate of horizontal rotation is pretty cool.

How does the system measure the car's horizontal rotation around the car's axis or center of gravity? Gyroscopes?

The explanation of the verge of loosing control on a 300 ft diameter circular path ... dry vs wet pavement ... ESP vs non ESP is interesting as well. I can't wait to set up a skid pad some day and play around.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S 600
I used to have a 1999 E430. I went up an elevated ramp in a cold rain at night and didn't realize that there was a 15mph curve with cement walls on each side. Came into the curve at 70mph and really just resigned myself that I was going to tear up my car pretty bad.

Kept turning and the ESP "!" light went full high speed click. Didn't touch the wall........don't know how the German engineers do it....but that's what one pays for when they spend the intangible extra dollars for a MB.

I do wish MB would come out with a "Full Detail" engineering book of 150 plus pages describing all aspects of car build and systems, about each car, that would be to the discretion of the salesperson to hand out....so they would maintain marketing costs.

Hope someone from MBUSA reads this
Old 11-16-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Holy Smokes, MercManiac!

This winter I plan to go to the local Kohl's parking lot and see what happens. It's the most open spot I've found around here, and the lot's empty on Sunday mornings.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
MercManiac

That experience would have to make a believer (in MB technology) out of anyone!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:24 PM

2002 C230K
the simple answer is that the car is psychic. it knows where curbs are. accept it.

but seriously, the esp is really sweet. i want to know where all of the sensors are that measure all the variables the cars take into account now.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor Sport
jpb5151,

If you can find a snow covered lot.... When I first got my E, I took it to an empty lot one night on 4" of untouched snow. Play around in the snow with the ESP off, then flip it on. It's amazing the difference...truly incredible! It's a fun system to show off to your non-benz friends; like my "american muscle car" friends.

My one story where it saved me was a potential hydroplane situation on the highway. I was going about 75-80mph and there was some standing water in the left lane (that I could not see) only on the left tire tracks...the system caught me amazingly and I just sliced thru straight ahead. Same thing happens when you hit those weird ice patches under bridges.