Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New factory transmission overfilled by dealer!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SD, 1997 S600 Coupe, 2007 S550 4Matic
New factory transmission overfilled by dealer!!

Hi all. I just had a factory reman transmission installed by the local dealer and shortly after found that after a long trip, the transmission would leak fluid. On short trips it would not. Took the car back to the dealer, they said was leftover oil from old leak. I said OK, took the car back, continued driving it and once again after a long trip the same thing. Took it back to dealer then they said "oh yeah, there is a quart and a half too much in there" (!!) So anyway, my question to all the transmission experts is, will driving the car 4000 miles with a quart and a half too much transmission fluid have any long term damaging effects on the transmission? I was told that the fluid came out a "vent hole" when it expanded. Any thoughts appreciated!!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Jer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
MB transmissions don't have a lot of overfill capacity. Excess fluid will be forced out of the breather and can lead to premature failure of the transmission. Remove the excess fluid ASAP. If the stealer screwed it up to begin with (which it sounds like he did), have him fix it for free.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1993 300SD, 1997 S600 Coupe, 2007 S550 4Matic
They did drain the excess fluid out, but i am wondering if anything else should be done and how likely thei transmission is to have already sustained damage as a result. This is the car's 3rd transmission, the 2nd was replaced under warranty after it failed at 21000 miles. This one only had 3000 miles left on the originaly warranty, and now it is out of warranty, but I had documented the problem at the dealer.