Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mercedes Benz C230 Intake Manifold Hole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
2006 Mercedes Benz C230 Intake Manifold Hole

I have been getting the lean error codes for a while now, and I suspected a vacuum leak. I found the worst case scenario. There is a hole in my intake manifold about the size of a fingertip. Obviously, that needs to be patched or the whole thing needs to be replaced.

I have gotten suggestions ranging from JB Weld to getting the entire thing replaced. The latter being the most expensive option is something I would like to avoid in the short term. I am sure I can take it to someone and have it welded. Is that a viable option? Does anyone have a diagram for us to follow in terms of removing the intake manifold? What should i do here? I appreciate the help.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:35 AM

Mazda 6
Did the hole come from something rubbing through?? Also depends where the hole is. Is it on the rear of the driver side of the intake? A high self adaptation would most likely be the vacuum leak like you said. I'd recommend just patching it with some thin sheet metal and some two stage epoxy like Devcon and let it cure for a day, don't take it off if pu don't have to. Welding isn't an option as I believe it's an aluminum alloy. They also tend to blow the internal variable runner bushings and blowing them through the cylinder causing brief misfires, bent spark plug electrodes(constant misfire) or a bent valve. Misfire, no compression. But yea, just patch It if that's all it is, dealer I take is over $1,000 last time I checked.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 AM

Mazda 6
Also, replace the PVC tubes.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:39 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Having same issue

rlockwood, I am curious what you ended up doing to fix the issue you were having with your intake manifold.

I am having the same exact issue with my 2006 C230 Sport. Had the check engine light come on so took it to the dealership. They said my right side catalytic converter has gone bad and the reason for that is the hole/crack in my intake manifold. Quoted me $4000 to replace both.

I am trying to see whether I really need to replace the intake manifold or whether I can patch up the hole.

Thank you in advance for the reply.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:52 PM

2006 C230 Sport
Sorry to hear about the troubles man. I just cleaned up the area really well with some alcohol and put a nice even layer of JB Weld high heat on there. Runs good as new. I have to replace it every 6 months or so, buy it's a 12 dollar fix that's foolproof.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:57 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Awesome, I wouldn't mind doing that couple of times a year either.

Just curious, did the intake manifold cause any issues in your catalytic converter?