Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, bought two 97 E420's and don't know where to start!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Mercedes E420
New here, bought two 97 E420's and don't know where to start!

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought one of them with a blown head gasket, it has 145k and is immaculate but I believe the motor has locked up. I was going to replace the motor then I found another one on Craigslist with a strange problem so I bought it too since the one with a bad motor was a good parts donor. The second one I bought runs decent but will not drive, it seems as if the brakes have locked up, abs and asr light active. I've gotten it to move some by getting the rpm's close to 3k but as soon as you let off the gas it stops quickly like I'm applying the brakes. Eventually after trying to get it to move it started skipping a little so I **** it down and called it a day. Also want to mention, when I put it in gear, it doesn't seem like it's attempting to take off in first gear... Maybe second or third, other times it doesn't seem like the transmission engages at all. Also, when applying heavy throttle, the pedal gets stuck the floor and I have to put my foot behind it and pull it back. The running car has 271k miles. Any thoughts on what could be going on would be appreciated. Thanks.