Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W208 Front seat motor burnt & a temp. fix.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
W208 Front seat motor burnt & a temp. fix.

My motor smoked and blew a fuse and only blew a fuses from then on. No movement.

Just temporarily got my seat forward and back working by switching the motors.

Here is a few notes:

The motor for forward and back is the middle motor.

To get to the motors :
1) I took off the left side cover with a single Phillips screw going into the back (The head faces the back of the car) and pulling the back end towards the door then forward to unhook it from an slid in tab.

2) The rest of the screws were #HH25 Torx screws.

3) I found it best to remove the 2 screws that hold the seat bottom cushion and it's bracket from the drivers side and a 3rd one AFTER I did the next step because I could not get between the seat and the console to get the inner screws.

4) The whole seat comes off with 4 #10MM bolts inside the track center at all four corners and it makes it easier to get to the bottom motor screws.

5) Once the complete seat is loose (Except for the wiring harness and a vacuum hose) you can get to the front seat cushion screw between the seat and the console. I could not seem to get the back one but with the other 3 off, I could lift the cushion enough top get to the top motor screws.

6) Then I could remove the motors.

I did not undo the motor wire harness but I switched the running rear motor with the burnt center motor.

So, for now the button that should raise the rear of the seat instead runs the seat forward and back. Till I get a new motor and switch it out.

Other threads say the part # is:2088200842. But best to verify, I haven't bought one yet. They also say the cost $170 retail and Internet dealers charge about $130.

Last edited by IBelieve; 03-08-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
Just checked the big online bidding site and $148.35 is the cheapest for what they are calling MERCEDES-BENZ 2088200842 GENUINE OEM FACTORY ORIGINA