Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C230 Doors won't unlock and can't turn key in ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
C230 Doors won't unlock and can't turn key in ignition

Hello, I own a C230 and the doors won't open with the key, and the key wont turn in the ignition. Both of these problems started at the same time, and without warning. I've tested the battery and fuses and both seem fine. I took it to a car dealership and they are telling me that the issue MAY be the car wheel locking mechanism, they don't know for sure but have no way of testing it unless they order this $1700 part. They also say the two issues are separate and not related, which seems weird to me because they both started at the same time. They also say the issue isn't the key itself (are they able to actually test this? I only have one key so no way to see if another key would start the vehicle.)

I'm just wondering, should I trust their diagnosis? I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the two issues aren't related even though they started at the same time.

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S Class
Could be ignition switch (EIS) if that fails then that can happen, also steering lock can have the same problem. Need to get diagnostic machine connected and a 30min check will confirm whether its key, EIS or steering lock.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c 63 amg est
hi it could be the remote key a 30 min check will make sure