Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I become a Mercedes-Benz Technician?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes-Benz C280
How can I become a Mercedes-Benz Technician?

I am 20 years old currently attending college in Southern California, I was doing the general education thing for almost 2 years, contemplating on what I wanted to do for rest of my life until I decided I wanted to become a Auto Technician because I am a big car enthusiast and I love learning about anything that has to do with them. Mercedes-Benz has always been my favorite car brand. I already do basic maintenance on my 1998 Mercedes-Benz C280 like oil - fluid changing, and have been starting to learn how to replace breaks pads, change spark plugs and other stuff on my car.

This semester I have been taking the intro auto class at my school to start, I am planning to take only automotive classes the next semesters. I am fully dedicated to this profession and have been doing my best to learn and work hard to improve my skills at every chance I get. I also have been trying hard to get ANY entry-level position at a dealership or independent shop around me as I continue taking classes and getting experience.

I really want to know how can I become a Mercedes-Benz Technician? What else do you recommend I do to further my skills & knowledge on reaching my goal? My school also has the Honda PACT program, should I complete that before trying out for a Mercedes program?

Admins if my thread is in the wrong section please move. Thanks

Last edited by yaboysami; 04-15-2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I would start by talking to local dealers, techs to see what the requirements are, what schools, etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 C450
Get yourself into a school that are partners with Mercedes-Benz and offers a chance to be selected to the Mercedes 'ELITE' program. I know the course designer of this program and he should have one opening soon in either Long Beach where they are building a huge training center, or Rancho Cucamonga. But you need to go to an automotive college first and be at the top of your class. I'm talking perfect attendance and 4.0 GPA. It's an interview process to be selected and you need to test into the program. Dealers pay special attention to ELITE graduates because you need to have some serious drive and dedication to be chosen for that program.

However, that's not the only way in. You just get your foot in the door and soak up any and all information you can and you'll do fine. Even if you start off as a lot attendant or valet. Just have an understanding with the guy who hires you that you want to advance. You need to find a manager that want's to see people grow and move up and not just be locked into what they're originally hired for.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:44 PM

1998 Mercedes-Benz C280
I've heard about the Elite program before, I hope they open a training center in Long Beach because that's close to where I live. I think they already have locations in Rancho Cucamonga and somewhere in Florida.

I've also been trying to get my foot in the door as a Service Porter, I've applied and dropped off applications at some of the local MB dealerships, letting know what my intentions were in the cover letters. I've noticed that most of the time they are looking for someone who has around 5 or more years experience. I will keep trying though, thanks for the advice!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 MB C230K Sport Sedan & 2011 MB C300
I talked to the service advisor at my local Mercedes dealership and he stated that most of his technicians are out of Wyotech or UTI.

He also said that an automotive technology certificate from a local community college would help, but it'd be harder to get your foot in the door since it would mainly be a broad course of study. Where as the Wyotech and UTI graduates have had the broad course of study plus the additional studies related to the specific manufacturer (in this case Mercedes Benz)

Starting out as a lube tech and working your way up is another route. It's pretty much starting from the bottom and if your drive and determination catches the eye of someone in the dealership then chances may be good that they will send you to a Mercedes training facility to become a certified Mercedes technician. The only stipulation with this is that you will have to work for the dealership for about 1 year.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:08 PM

just looking
Originally Posted by yaboysami
I am 20 years old currently attending college in Southern California, I was doing the general education thing for almost 2 years, contemplating on what I wanted to do for rest of my life until I decided I wanted to become a Auto Technician because I am a big car enthusiast and I love learning about anything that has to do with them. Mercedes-Benz has always been my favorite car brand. I already do basic maintenance on my 1998 Mercedes-Benz C280 like oil - fluid changing, and have been starting to learn how to replace breaks pads, change spark plugs and other stuff on my car.

This semester I have been taking the intro auto class at my school to start, I am planning to take only automotive classes the next semesters. I am fully dedicated to this profession and have been doing my best to learn and work hard to improve my skills at every chance I get. I also have been trying hard to get ANY entry-level position at a dealership or independent shop around me as I continue taking classes and getting experience.

I'm interested in pursuing a career as a Mercedes-Benz Technician and would like to know how to get started. Can you recommend any specific steps I should take, such as reviewing Universal Technical Institute reviews, to further my skills and knowledge? Additionally, my school offers a Honda PACT program - should I complete that before exploring opportunities in the Mercedes-Benz program or is there another route I should take?
Admins if my thread is in the wrong section please move. Thanks
To become a Mercedes-Benz Technician, focus on completing specialized automotive training programs and gaining hands-on experience with Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Seek out Mercedes-Benz-specific training courses and certifications. Prioritize gaining practical experience at Mercedes-Benz dealerships or shops specializing in these vehicles. While the Honda PACT program can be beneficial, prioritize Mercedes-Benz-specific training if that's your career goal.
Old 07-09-2024, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,212 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Thanks for the info, but this is a 10-year-old thread. I doubt the OP waited around.