Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical problem with my 2003 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014 | 10:09 AM

2003 c240
Electrical problem with my 2003 C240

A couple of week ago, my car started having problems when trying to start. There are the following 3 conditions
1. The key will not click when inserted and will not turn
2. The key will click and turn but the car will not start, like the battery was dead.
3. The key will click and turn, the car will start, the engine will run, but all electrical system, lights, radio, ac, wipers etc. will be dead
This happens a few times a day but the car eventually starts and run. i took it to the dealership, the couldn't tell me the cause and a solution. They said let's start with replacing the key (I have only one) beacuse the chip may be bad, if that doesn't help, change the ignition module and then we will see what else.
I can't work with that approach and end up replacing a ton of things that were not needed to be replaced.
Has anyone experienced something similar or has any suggestion.
Old 05-20-2014 | 02:29 AM

c 63 amg est
Hi i would start with a new key its good to have a spare
Old 06-10-2014 | 04:05 PM

2003 c240
I got a new key and it solved the problem. However, be aware their is significant difference in the cost of a new key from dealer to dealer
Old 08-06-2014 | 10:40 AM

2003 mercedes c240
Hello

I tested my car this morning 03 c240 at autozone, the reader wrote bad battery replace soon. But the car itself did not warn me about check battery or any sort.. should i worry about it? never had problems starting the car, but sometimes electrical things like, the sunroof takes its time to open sometimes its fast.. just confused? any help would be appreciated also which battery is recommended?
sorry im posting here i just didnt know where to make new thread? also that help would be appreciated lol