Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alignment question!!!!! please techs i need your advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
alignment question!!!!! please techs i need your advice

hi, just got my tires aligned at tire kingdom. after the alignment when i got home i checked the tire pressure and one front tire was at 35 lbs. and the other front tire was 46 lbs. called the shop and they said it doesn't make a difference on the alignment machine. are they correct and did the difference in tire pressure mess up the alignment. i was later told by a mechanic that i should only align the mercedes at the dealer because they have some special tools that are required for proper alignment. first did i get screwed at tire kingdom with an improper alignment. second is it true that i should only let a mercedes dealer align my car. p.s. i have a staggered set up.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,015 Likes on 788 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Might make a *minor* difference but probably not enough to worry about. The alignment is taken off of the wheel, not the tire. When the tire pressure changes, the tire shape changes, and the wheel settles into a new position.

If you doubt it, then take it back. But if you're the one who screwed up the pressures in the tires and failed to check them before taking it in, then you should pay the cost. Paying twice for one's own screw up tends to reinforce the lesson.

Again, the difference is going to be very, very small. Probably within the margins of error.

"Special tool" is probably the spreader bar to remove slack in the steering assembly when setting toe-in. It's a PITA without one as I discovered recently.

If you still don't like this, buy the tools and read on-line how to perform your own alignments. I do my own and, if they are screwed up, I write myself a very stern letter and dock my pay. ;-)

Last edited by bbirdwell; 05-22-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added special tool info.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
There's no way that the tire pressure is the owner's "fault." Checking and adjusting tire pressure is the first step of alignment. I would never have anyone but the dealer do an alignment. If the camber or caster needs adjustment, you need special bolts that a tire place would not have.

If it were my car, I'd make it a teachable moment and have the dealer do a four-wheel alignment.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
guys, thanks for your responses. they put new tires on and they inflated them. when i got home i double checked everything and then found out that THEY inflated the tires incorrectly.
got two different prices from same dealer from 2 different service writers. first said $99 if it didn't need replacement bolts and $179 if it did plus $30 per bolt. i didn't tell him which mercedes i had. second writer i have worked with for 4 years. he quoted me $229 for the alignment on my 2004 cl600. don't understand the difference in price, unless the cl 600 costs significantly more to align than other mercedes. any input?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 240 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by biker349
guys, thanks for your responses. they put new tires on and they inflated them. when i got home i double checked everything and then found out that THEY inflated the tires incorrectly.
got two different prices from same dealer from 2 different service writers. first said $99 if it didn't need replacement bolts and $179 if it did plus $30 per bolt. i didn't tell him which mercedes i had. second writer i have worked with for 4 years. he quoted me $229 for the alignment on my 2004 cl600. don't understand the difference in price, unless the cl 600 costs significantly more to align than other mercedes. any input?
Shouldn't. Ask the second guy if that includes camber bolts, if needed. I bet it doesn't. Sounds like first guy is just more straight up.

They're both 4-wheel alignment, I assume?

Unless you have low mileage or had some recent work, don't be surprised if the real bill comes from them diagnosing worn parts. Control arms are common wear items, for instance, and the dealer will find such things during alignment. Don't fight it. It's another reason that we let the guys that know our suspensions do the alignment. Assuming your dealer is honest, if they say you need some new parts it will cost, but you'll probably be amazed at the difference when you get it back.

And if they say everything is tight, even better.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,015 Likes on 788 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
So...what is your alignment? Did you not receive the before and after alignment measurements?

Caster and camber are easy checks; use the app available for your iPhone or use a carpenter's digital level (~$40 at Home Depot). You'll at least be able to tell if your alignment is in the ballpark.

This is not rocket science.

And the bolts run anywhere from $7 to $12. I just bought and installed a pair. If you need them, you buy and supply.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
numbers according to print out are in spec, but that's with one front tire at 34 lbs. and the other front tire at 46 lbs. where did you get the bolts and part # please.
thanks