Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Cautionary Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
2000 MB G500 NMLE, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI Prestige
A Cautionary Warning

This is just a heads up to anyone who might want to buy or update your STAR/DAS/XENTRY software.

A forum member told me of a Chinese source for the software that is supposed to be very reliable and inexpensive. He has had good luck with this source. I have not, ergo the warning.

I received the HDD with the software loaded. It worked for a little while, but then the DAS section (the section that diagnoses through the 38-pin round connector under the hood, which is the only data access point on my 2000 G500) quit working. The technician tried to get it working, but was not successful. Since it quit working as a possible fault of my own, I agreed to purchase a second HDD at a discount. I was promised a refund, if the second HDD could not be made to work.

The technician tried several times to get it working; and each time it became more and more unworkable. I was told to return the HDD to Shenzhen, China for a refund.

I sent it by USPS Priority Mail International. USPS Tracking shows that it left the US on May 5. Sadly, once it leaves the US, there is no tracking available in China.

The seller claims to have not received the HDD; and will not issue a refund via PayPal. This in spite of the fact that I have documentation proving that I did send it. PayPal will not mandate a refund, since there is no proof that it was received in China.

The seller goes by the name of Amanda Hall, email: mandytrx1919@hotmail.com

They also use this website:

http://www.obdiisite.com/best-qualit...ars-p-265.html

Payment is made to two different PayPal accounts, as follows:

James Alderman, email: jdermkg@hotmail.com

Joanna Knepper, email: jossantx@outlook.com

As said above, another forum member has had good luck with this seller. I have not. I should not have tried to go on the cheap. Fore warned is fore armed! Caveat emptor!