Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake noise, then ABS light comes on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake noise, then ABS light comes on

An annoying problem has cropped up on my 93 190E. Occasionally while braking, I hear a noise like a spring expanding "SPROOOOOOOONG", sounds like it come from at or under the brake pedal, then the yellow ABS dash light comes on. It will remain on until I stop, turn off the ignition, then restart. Then all is normal again, the light goes out, sometimes for days until it happens again. The brakes seem to be operating normally at all times and there is no pattern that I can see. Any ideas? Thanks, Don
Old 12-12-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2009 e class 2012 ml350
If the noise is the abs activating, it`s possible that your tires are causing that.
Did it start after you changed tires?
This is a commun proble with heavier M. benz when people install to soft of a winter tire (usually on 126 body).
Old 12-13-2003, 12:32 AM

I did change the tires, but it was happening before the change. Far as I can tell, the new tires had no effect, maybe even helped a little by decreasing the frequency of the ABS light coming on. Been reading some other posts, and I'll check the brake activation switch; seems it caused a similar problem with other Benz's, especially the newer series. Worth a shot.....
Old 12-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Almost a Member!

W210
Try cleaning your abs sensors. They get a bunch of metal filings on the tip, as the tip is magnetic. When there are too many metal filings, you can experience weird problems like the ones you described. To clean the abs sensors, remove the tips and spray with some brake cleaner, then wipe them off with a rag. The ABS sensors are usually pretty easy to remove.