Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 e320 Intake Manifold/ETA advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320 Wagon, 2000 CLK430
94 e320 Intake Manifold/ETA advice needed

My 94 e320 wagon had electrical issues a few years ago which were resolved through the installation of an upgraded harness and then new computer. One of its irritating symptoms had been that it would backfire at start, which at some point blasted apart the (dry, crusty, hard, cracked) emission hose, the short little contorted one, between the manifold and throttle body. Naturally, trying to replace that little sucker, I broke the plastic hose nipple off the manifold.

Which was tragic.

At any rate, using a donor flat plastic plate and another nipple and some epoxy, I repaired it. That lasted until last week.

Now here's my quandry: I have a spare manifold and throttle body/etc assembly in the garage. It too has a broken bit there, but I figure since it's not attached to a car I can drill it out and epoxy a brass nipple in there. I have had no luck trying to separate the plastic bit of the assembly from the metal runners/throttle body/mounting bracket. Should I just replace the whole thing? Removing injectors/rail, the bolts on the plastic manifold, lots of vacuum lines, and the 4 bolts that hold the bottom part to the block? I do NOT know how good the wires are on the replacement ETA, nor do I even know that it works. I assume the wires on my original are lousy, but it does work fine.

Has anyone else ever come up with a good way to repair those manifolds? Is taking the whole assembly (incl throttle body/etc) that much harder than just removing the plastic bit and fighting those rubber plastic-to-aluminum couplers?

Anyone have any general advice? ANYTHING is appreciated before I embark on this quest. My birthday's next weekend so I need to get my emissions test done before then (why do these things always happen at emission time?).
Old 09-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320 Wagon, 2000 CLK430
Hrm. CLK430 purchased in the interim, now I just need to repair the e320 for sales purposes. Still no advisers in the audience? Going to just fabricate the new manifold hose barb and dig in, I guess.

On another note, e320 wagon for sale soon!

(and on another another note, wow I like the v8 rumble of the 430)