Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Dash rattle

Blower motor was replaced because of a fault code found in diagnostic test. Now I have a rattle coming from somewhere in the center dash. Not constant but an annoyance on bumpy surfaces. Is this going to be a nightmare to find and repair properly the first time? Furthermore, any suggestions (from a tech's point of view) as to what I should recommend they look for without having to go through numerous road tests? I want my cabin silence back the way it was!!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
If the rattle started after the blower was replaced then I would suggest to have them (or yourself) check on the pieces they had to remove to get the blower out... Personally, this is my biggest complaint about any service center doing work on my vehicles and bike's too.... Seems what ever the wrenches touch it never goes back the same way...
Old 01-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55
Re: Dash rattle

Originally posted by konigstiger
Blower motor was replaced because of a fault code found in diagnostic test. Now I have a rattle coming from somewhere in the center dash. Not constant but an annoyance on bumpy surfaces. Is this going to be a nightmare to find and repair properly the first time? Furthermore, any suggestions (from a tech's point of view) as to what I should recommend they look for without having to go through numerous road tests? I want my cabin silence back the way it was!!
Back in 1999 when I bought my first Mercedes, a S500 I had to have the speaker in the center of the dash replaced. To do so they evidently had to remove the dash. Afterwards I had a 'rattle' that I just could not locate. It sounded like it was coming from the center air vents. In fact I was 'positive' that was the problem. Anyway it turned out to be the dash rubbing against the window. We found it by accident, by sticking a business card between the dash and window. It was repaired easily after that but finding it was a mystery for several weeks. Those phanton noises are sometimes the most frustrating problems to locate.