Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does Mercedes achieve a less fatiguing ride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:44 PM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
How does Mercedes achieve a less fatiguing ride?

Is it a design goal for Mercedes and other auto manufacturers to place what I call the center of rotation of the vehicle as near as possible to the occupants of the front seat? If so, does Mercedes achieve this goal more successfully than other auto manufacturers?
I have long noticed how, after long trips in my Mercedes, I have less muscular tension than in previous cars. Of course, many factors contribute to a good ride. But I have never seen even a mention of one possible factor. When any vehicle impacts a road imperfection, it both lifts and rotates. I sense that my 2007 C280W4 rotates around a center very close to my torso. So my body rises and falls only as much as this center rises and falls, not that amount, plus an additional amount equal to the angular displacement due to rotation around that center.
I once rode in an ML350, appr. 2005 or so. I remember being thrown from side to side as the SUV rocked right and left over mere tar strips, etc. That was because I was seated well above this center of rotation. I have never experienced this sensation in a sedan of any kind.
I am hoping for replies from professional automotive engineers. On this side of the Atlantic, I do not hope for a reply from an engineer who has actually worked for MB. I will gladly settle for the report of an engineer who can report industry opinion, even rumors about MB's design priorities.