Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Tranny in Benz? Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C230
Used Tranny in Benz? Yes or No?

So, I have a 2006 C230 and my first gear has been slipping, ONLY when started up in the morning or after its been sitting for a while. Yes, I had a transmission flush about 4 months ago and it was doing that prior to my flush. So It just has a hard time getting into 1st. So i had a transmission shop drop the Tranny pan and the liquid looked like chocolate milk. So i sent the pictures of the fluid to my usual Mercedes repair shop and he said My coolant is leaking into my transmission fluid, he said he has seen this a couple times with my model and such. So he said that i probably need a new radiator and then he'll do another flush but when he takes off the transmission pan he will see if there is debris or not and if there is then he said i will more than likely need a new transmission. So, like anyone else here, i dont want to pay $4,000-8,000 for a new transmission. So i found one online from a used car shop and they said they had one that has 60,000 miles on it for $1,180 dollars. But i dont know if i should trust these out of state auto shops, wonder if it doesnt work? wonder if i put it in my car and then it goes out within a year? you know? my car only has 84,000 miles on it and in really good shape except these repairs. Should i just bag the car? or should i fix it up and drive it 150,000 miles plus and get my moneys worth out of it? If anyone could give me advice that'd be great. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 747 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Be sure to obtain the VIN number of the transmission and run a Carfax on it. I had a salvage yard attempt to sell me a 1996 transmission with only 60,000 miles (amazing how they all have only 60K miles on them). The VIN however, was only numerically 50 away from the VIN of my 1991 automobile in which I was replacing the transmission. The so-called "1996 transmission" came off the same assembly line the same day as my 1991 automobile.

If no VIN plate, no sale.

You can always just replace the radiator, flush the transmission, fill it, and drive it. It will either work or it won't. If it doesn't work, then you can cross the bridge and purchase a replacement transmission.

FWIW.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 11-18-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C230
Is there any good, reliable websites or auto shops you'd recommend? Should I not pay less than 2 grand? Cuz like I said, I found one for $1,100 bucks.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 747 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
No advice for you on vendors. I'm still new enough at this Mercedes thing that I don't know the reliable salvage yards.