Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delayed upshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Delayed upshift

Hey all,
I know all MB's have the delayed upshift when you first start driving the car. It holds the gear for longer till the cat(s) are warmed up.

My question is...it usually shifts at 2,000 RPM's in first, then around 3200 RPM's to get out of second.

I take it easy when first going in the morning, or whenever it's been sitting for a few hours, especially in the freezing teen degree's.

Today, I held the RPM's at around 2000 give or take. It went from first to second as normal. Then I just didn't want to push the tranny and engine as it was very cold outside, so I just held it at 2k RPM. After about two minutes, it shifted to third. When I came to a stop sign and started again, it shifted as normal when the cat(s) are warmed up.

Does this do any damage to the upshift module if I just hold it around 2k without letting it shift to 3rd? I use to just go to 3k when starting to drive off to let it go thru the gears, but I wanted to try something different today. Just curious if it's bad or not. Thanks!

-G-