Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E series: Rear view mirror covers replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010E63
E series: Rear view mirror covers replacement

Hello,

The clear plastic "windows" in my car's rearview mirrors are cracked. I bought new mirror covers already painted [part #A 212 810 08 64].

I do not see screws and I think they are attached by pressure but I don't want to damage them.

I would like to do it myself, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails E series: Rear view mirror covers replacement-mirror_1.jpg   E series: Rear view mirror covers replacement-mirror_2.jpg   E series: Rear view mirror covers replacement-mirror_3.jpg  
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 977 Likes on 760 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
I can't speak for your 2010 but both my 2005 and 1999 mirror housings are held on by a simple metal catch.

For both of mine, the mirror housing must be rotated (pushed) towards the rear of the car (the door window). Hold in position (a *bright* flashlight helps here) and I can see a shiny metal tab against the outside of the mirror housing. Difficult to see as it is pretty much end-on to your eyes. I used a flat-tip screwdriver to push the tab inward (towards the door) to release. It doesn't take much...maybe 1/8" to release. Keep just a bit of rearward pressure on the mirror housing so the metal tab does not re-engage as you return the mirror to its normal position. If I did it correctly, I can now pull lightly on the housing (away from the car) and the housing should slip right off. I've had the housing come off on the first attempt and I've had another housing that took around a dozen attempts to remove the housing. Patience.

To re-install, just press the new housing onto the frame until you hear the tab "click" into place.

Be sure your mirror is moved to a neutral position before attempting to remove or the housing will get hung up on the mirror.

Edit: If you look at your new housings, you should see a small "step" on the housing. This will give you an idea of where to look for the metal catch. For all I know your mirror housing may lift off vertically rather than horizontally. Please take photos and post your results.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 01-21-2015 at 10:14 PM.