Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock, (actuator) techs install help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015 | 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
door lock, (actuator) techs install help please

hi, i checked the mercedes repair dvd and it says to replace the passenger side door lock (door lock actuator, soft close) you basically have to remove everything inside the door. the speakers, the air bag, the window regulator, the window, the door handle, plus possibly some things i forgot to mention. taking off the door panel is pretty straight forward, but taking out the lock seems like a nightmare! is there any simpler way to replace the door lock? are there any short cuts, or tips? this is for a passenger front door on a 2004 cl600. techs your advice would be invaluable.
thanks
Old 01-26-2015 | 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
As my Company Commander in the Army used to say, "Birdwell, this is your chance to excel! Don't screw up!" :-)

This is your chance. Be sure to take plenty of photos, provide lots of updates, and to radio in SITREPS regularly. When your SITREPS stop coming in, we know to move very carefully when we get to your last reported position!

Seriously, you either do it yourself or you pay the dealer an outrageous sum of money to perform the work. Here's your chance to assist others in the future. Go for it. Techs in a Mercedes factory put it together, you can disassemble and reassemble it. Expect stored fault codes to appear in the ECU after taking it apart.

Recommend disconnecting the battery before disconnecting everything but you may need a diagnostic system for the SRS afterwards.

No further advice for you as I don't have a CL-series. Best to you.
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:04 PM

2005 E55 AMG
There is no simple way. The window regulator gets in the way when trying to remove and install the door lock. You'll need to remove the glass as well. Be sure to remove the inner and outer window seals at the top of the door it makes removal and installation of the glass much simpler.
Old 01-31-2015 | 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
Evil E55, thanks for the info. here is a video i found of a guy replacing his front drivers side door lock without removing anything but the door panel. do you think this is doable? the installation is at the end of the video and he takes out the lock at the very beginning. everything else is about the puck.
Old 01-31-2015 | 11:18 AM

2005 E55 AMG
That door is on an S class your CL has a different design. Its been a while since I've done a door lock actuator on a CL but a I don't recall having to take the airbag out. Also I believe the window regulator is held in place my rivets (not 100% on this) if so you'll need a special tool and specific rivets when reinstalling due to the fact that they must be drilled out If you can wait till Monday I will copy and paste WIS instructions. (Should have done this yesterday lol)
Old 01-31-2015 | 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
hi, no problem. i can wait. thanks soo much for clarifying that there is a difference between the s and cl door.
the best, harv
Old 02-03-2015 | 11:15 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I cant copy the pictures from WIS . Looks like you'll have to remove the rear speaker, the rear window regulator and you should be able to remove it with just those items removed. The regulator is held inplace with bolts so you should be a DIY project just take your time when removing and installing the glass.
Old 02-03-2015 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thanks.
Old 02-13-2015 | 03:48 PM
Veteran: Marine Corp

2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
I can speak only for the w203 but hope it might help. I've replaced a couple of the front ones and the instructions too say to remove everything. No thank you has to be an easier way right? Yup!

I only drilled out the 2 rivets for the window regulator at the bottom of the door. The wires to the door module I fished behind the padding and interior door pull brace. It was a tight squeeze leaving the regulator brace in but pushing it towards the outside of the door while squeezing the actuator through the opening just barely had room to do it. (Y)
So I only had to take off the door panel, exterior door handle (didn't have to remove the plastic mounting inside the door for the handle), drill the bottom 2 rivets for the regulator, and the 3 screws for the actuator. If you leave your key out of the ignition there is no reason to disconnect the battery either.

I say prepare for the worst and have extra rivets on hand but remove as little as possible.
Old 02-13-2015 | 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cl600
thanks!