Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with W210 engine troubles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
Help with W210 engine troubles

I am working on a friends 1997 e320. This car starts normally but stalls out a few seconds after. After restarting the car many times, eventually i can get it to idle. Once completely warmed up the car will idle and sometimes will even have a higher than normal idle speed. Both hot and cold, engine bogs out when any more than very slight throttle is applied. I have replaced the cam and crank sensors along with spark plugs and wires. I can not find any obvious vacuum leaks and vacuum is a steady 20hg at idle when engine is warm. Fuel pressure also is normal ( 50 psi). The only codes i get from the obd2 are random misfire codes. I am planning on replacing the MAFS but have not done so yet. One thing i did notice is that when the key is at the on postion with the engine not running, if i turn the throttle position sensor to full throttle the throttle body actuator only opens slightly. Should the throttle body open all the way when pedal is depressed fully or the tps is turned by hand? I'm thinking there might be a problem with the function of the throttle body actuator. They seem to have deteriorating wiring issues and other problems requiring them to be rebuilt. Is there a way to test the throttle body while it's still in place? Could it just need to be cleaned?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
MAF fixed problem

replacing the mass air flow sensor fixed the stalling issue. car runs great now. it did not even have a trouble code for this specific problem.