Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt replacement?e350 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e350 wagon 2006
Timing belt replacement?e350 wagon

A year ago I had major engine work done on my E350 wagon 6 cyl, 2006, 110,000miles. The code was 1208. A "balance shaft " that apparently wears unevenly had been problematic according to several posts on this forum. MBZ was kind enough to kick for some of the repair but still I paid $3100. Now engine light comes back on and the same code comes up: 1208. I am now told that the "timing is off" and the "marks don't align" and that this problem is unrelated to the fix a year ago. They want $2500 or so to replace the timing belt and tensioners etc. My questions:

Does this sound at all possible that it could be "unrelated"?
What happens if I do nothing?
Please help I have to decide whatto do by noon tomorrrow. Either have them do the work, or button it back up and trade it in on a non-MBZ product.

Helllllllp!
TC
Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
First - M-B does not use timing belts - they use timing chains. Chains are fairly long lived and should, if the oil was changed regularly, last longer the 110K on that engine.

I would sit down with the service advisor and get a better answer on what has happened.