Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK 220d gearbox/sensor problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 220d
CLK 220d gearbox/sensor problem?

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help.
I got a 55plate CLK 220d last year and its been faultless, until yesterday.
When I was on my way home from work I went to shift into Park at a set of lights, the gear stick wouldn't move up past Neutral and the dash wasn't reading it was coming out of Drive. When I shifted back into Drive I sort of felt a lurch (nothing major, but out of the ordinary) and from this point on it was stuck in 1st gear all the way home (still got 28mpg if you can believe that!). I couldn't manually shift up or down, or change it between sport and comfort mode, I guess it was a form of limp home mode.

Anyway I got home, turned the car off in neutral, turned it back on and it's been fine now. I haven't been anywhere since but I've driven it up and down the little road I live down and its changing gear fine and being normal.

I didn't know if anyone had any ideas as to what it could be? I know a decent mechanic and can get mates rates off him but I want to know a bit more than I do at the moment about the issue.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-07-2015, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
sometimes this is a computer glitch and when you shut off the engine it's like rebooting your computer and it eliminates the glitch. i'd just keep driving it unless the problem returns.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 AM

CLK 220d
Thanks. It happened again today but I just turned it on and off and it's fine again. Gonna take it to my mate I think and get it plugged in to see if there an error reading on the computer.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
have you checked inside your fuse box near the fire wall to see if tranny fluid has wisked its way up the wires into the box. this is a common problem and the solution is cheap. putting a new seal where the wires connect to the tranny and draining the fluid out of the fuse box.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 PM

C220 CDI Estate 2003
I have also had a similar problem with my c220 CDI 2003 which was down to a speed sensor in the gearbox. Relatively easy for a competent mechanic to replace. M in took me about 2 1/2 hours for me to do including transmission oil and filter change. The parts cost about £120 plus oil