Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure fluctuation/noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 w124 E220 Coupe
Oil pressure fluctuation/noise

I have a 1993 W124 E220 Coupe, 183K miles.

A while ago, a slight noise started, seemingly from the offside (its RHD) front. Not loud (if you didn't know the car and weren't listening for it you wouldn't notice anything - and intermittent, sounded maybe like the start of a wheel bearing going; like something rubbing as it rotates. Had the wheel, suspension etc checked - mechanic could hear the noise, but found nothing wrong. Like me, he does not think the noise is coming from the engine.

Now, I am getting fluctuating oil pressure. Normally is always on 3 unless idling, when on 2. Now, always starts normally at 3 but at lower speeds (say 40mph) will sometimes to drop to 2 when it's been driving a while, and down to 1 when idling. A bit of open road and back to normal again. Apart from this the car is fine - no noises, no loss of oil, no obvious over-heating, runs perfectly.

I know nothing about car mechanics, but common sense leads me to suspect the oil pump. If this was sticking when warmed up it could explain slight noise (if it's in the right area), and pressure dropping at lower revs. But - is this daft (as I say I have zero mechanical knowledge), and does anyone have a better idea?