Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto door closer trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 S420
Question auto door closer trouble

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm talking about the microswitches that when triggered, pull the doors closed with the vacuum assist. I have had my driver's door apart to get a look at it and from ALLDATA.com have a good handle on the procedure to replace one. BUT.....The first time I got in to this area was two months ago when the driver door failed to pull itself closed. That's why I looked inside. Found out it was likely the microswitch as the culprit. I have not yet replaced it, and a week ago, the fron passenger door stopped pulling itself closed too! This morning, I had the car parked in a heated garage...put something in the back right side...door closed itself fine. Pulled it outside, and had to get in back right door again. Now it does not pull itself closed. Then immediately went to trunk to check and it had stopped pulling itself closed. The only one to still remain working is the left rear door. WHAT"S GOING ON!!!??? Are they beginning to fail in series? Does one fail after the other if another is bad? PLease help before I go mad, or install new microswitches without needing to.
Thanks,
2kprwlr
Old 02-05-2004, 07:49 PM

SL500
Sounds like you have moisture in the lines which is freezing and blocking vacuum line. Need to purge lines and determine source of moisture entry
Old 02-08-2004, 05:08 PM

11 ML350
What model and year is the car?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:29 AM

1994 S420
Well, I got the door closer to work again. I was informed to pull the number 9 fuse and then replace it after 10-15 seconds. This did the trick and the doors are closing well now (on my 1994 S420). I was also informed that this is only a temporizing measure. It sounds like my vacuum pump is failing and will likely need to be replaced eventually.
Thanks for all the input.
2kprwlr
Old 02-09-2004, 06:34 PM

11 ML350
Or it could be the conveince relay.(located on the right inside of the trunk)

Brian
Old 02-10-2004, 10:59 AM

1994 S420
redcoupe, Could you please elaborate on that relay.
Thanks,
2kprwlr
Old 02-10-2004, 11:16 PM

11 ML350
If your looking in the trunk and you remove the paneling on the right inside of the trunk, there will be a black box with on big connector on it. Be carefull when taking the connector off, it has a slide connector.
If the problem happens again disconnect it and reconnect the relay and see if that fix's the problem. If it does them the relay might be going bad.

Brian