Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600, ML320, E430
Catalytic Converter Problem

'93 SL600 -- It started out with a poor performance of the car, gears change timing is not normal, and after less than 10 miles of driving I found out that the left catalytic converter burned out. Next day, I have both of the catalytic converters replaced with aftermarket units (for SL600) at a local mufflers shop. With the new replacements, the very strong smell of fresh gasoline just keeps coming out from the exhausts while the engine is running. The MB service advisor informed me that I have to use the MB factory catalytic converters for the gas smell problem to go away and they can't fix it. I thought they can adjust the fuel & air for the problem but it is not the case (?).

Right now, the car seems to start in 2nd gear and jumps to 3rd with a kick after a long delay. I have scheduled for the tranmission oil changed and will be replacing all of the spark plugs ... just in case. Please advise!
Old 02-14-2004, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Your SA is most likely correct re the Cats. Don,t you feel a bit miffed that to correct the problem you have to sacrifice all the money you saved by putting in the correct part?? Do not believe that the trans problem will be corrected by the fluid change. Its most likely due to a failed valve body. However driving it in its present condition could have damaged the clutch in the trans and you are most likely in for a total rebuild. Again I would have an authorized dealer have a look and diagnose. You could be tossing more money down the drain by taking the cheapest way out.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600, ML320, E430
Hi sosh, Thanks for the reply. I have the car towed from one location to the next after the catalytic converter failure. The car has only been driven a few miles from the mufflers shop to the dealership since then. I am amazed how the normal running car can go from normal to many problems.