Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Sun Shade Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Rear Sun Shade Problems

Dave, do you see a lot of Rear Sun Shades having problems ? It seems that I remeber hearing about more than a few people having problems with them. For some reason, mine when up and deployed had some type of problem lowering. Like the switch wsa bad. It finally did lower, and now I'm afraid to raise it as I may not be able to get it down again. Another thing to add to the list for my A-Service....
Old 11-24-2001, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I've seen cars with sunshade problems, yes. Most of the time they're new C-classes and CLK's. I would like to point out that the sunshade switch isn't instantaneous on these cars, nor is the trunk switch. On anything with the new "express" feature on the sunshade, you may have to tap it twice for the sunshade to react. For instance, if i raise the sunshade up and immediately want to lower it, I have to tap the switch twice before it lowers again. Same thing with the trunk switch. Flicking the switch won't open the trunk, as it does on so many other cars. You have to physically hold it for a couple seconds while the "open" signal goes from the switch, to the combination control module (CCM), over the CAN line to the PSE pump, to the trunk release control valve, which activates the trunk latch. You wouldn't believe how many customers that have told me their trunk release doesn't work. I ask them to demonstate for me, and I see them just flicking away at the trunk switch "See? It doesn't work!" I'll get in and hold the switch for 1-2 seconds, and viola, the trunk pops right up. I don't like making people look stupid, but it's the only way sometimes.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I know the trunk switch takes a few seconds, however the power rear-shade has always been really fast to deploy or retract upon hitting and holding the switch. I'll try it again anyhow.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been reluctant to use my sunshade ever since it shot open and flew a loose part towards the front of the car.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Mach 430, was it a little strip of flexible plastic? It has fallen off shortly after receiving both of my clk's.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problems...

I seem to have the same problem on my 2001 C240...the shade seems to work up and down about 20 percent of the time. Mechanic said that when I first start the car, it needs only one push on the switch, but after the car runs awhile, I need to press it twice. This made absolutely no sense to me.

Maybe I just need to hold the button for a longer period of time...I will try that, but it sounds to me like a bad switch. Any other help?
Old 03-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only tried playing with mine and not problem so far.!