Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night View Assist problem (IR emitter questions)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500 C216
Night View Assist problem (IR emitter questions)

Hi,

I've recently bought a 2007 CL with Night View Assist, but it does not work well. I don't think this is camera related, because the image on the cluster is good. When I active while driving Night View Assist, it turns on normally, but it stops and I get an error message after a few seconds (and I can't turn it on again until next engine restart). But I tested it in my garage and if I activate it while parked, it work normally, I've waited maybe 10 mn with no problem.

As I understood, the cars with Night View Assist have IR emitter bulbs in the main projectors. And I'm not sure about that, but I've read somewhere that thoses lights do not activate under 40 kmh or something like that, witch could explain my problem while driving and not while parking. On my user manual, it says H7-55 W for standard cars and H11-55 W as IR emitter for cars with Night View Assist. So I took the two bulbs out and there are indeed H11 bulbs, but I can only see a standard H11 Philips 12362 LL. Should not it be a special infrared bulb ? Do you have any pictures of yours please? I'm ok to buy to new bulbs, but I don't understand if I can take any H11-55 W or if I need very special IR/night view assist bulbs and I can't find any.

Thanks for any input,

Thomas
Old 01-04-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by Thomas Olivaux
Hi,

I've recently bought a 2007 CL with Night View Assist, but it does not work well. I don't think this is camera related, because the image on the cluster is good. When I active while driving Night View Assist, it turns on normally, but it stops and I get an error message after a few seconds (and I can't turn it on again until next engine restart). But I tested it in my garage and if I activate it while parked, it work normally, I've waited maybe 10 mn with no problem.

As I understood, the cars with Night View Assist have IR emitter bulbs in the main projectors. And I'm not sure about that, but I've read somewhere that thoses lights do not activate under 40 kmh or something like that, witch could explain my problem while driving and not while parking. On my user manual, it says H7-55 W for standard cars and H11-55 W as IR emitter for cars with Night View Assist. So I took the two bulbs out and there are indeed H11 bulbs, but I can only see a standard H11 Philips 12362 LL. Should not it be a special infrared bulb ? Do you have any pictures of yours please? I'm ok to buy to new bulbs, but I don't understand if I can take any H11-55 W or if I need very special IR/night view assist bulbs and I can't find any.

Thanks for any input,

Thomas
Its a standard bulb the greyish lens part that the bulb shines through is an IR filter
Old 01-04-2016, 03:36 AM

CL 500 C216
Yeah, thnaks you. I figured that out removing my own bulbs and testing them on a computer PSU and seeing actual light. And also I found an old Night View Assist technical explaination from Mercedes who stated the fact you explain.

I tries without any bulbes on the headlamps, it does not change my Night View Assist Behaviour. It still works fine while parked but only for a few seconds while driving. I'll try with new bulbs soon or later, but when I tested my two current bulbs, both worked. Groumf. I should look where the Night View Assist ECU is located to check it (or the plug).

See you,

Thomas
Old 10-15-2023, 02:14 PM

w221
Originally Posted by Thomas Olivaux
Hi,

Thanks for any input,

Thomas
Hello
I have the exact same problem, how did you fix it?