Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML rumble on slow speed turns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
ML rumble on slow speed turns

If you have an ML that feels like it "rumbles" on turns at parking lot speeds, typically with higher mileage vehicles, the cause of the is the transfer case. The ML transfer case has an internal chain, rather than usual gears. This chain is of sub-par quality and tends to stretch out over time. Mercedes doesn't recommend disaassembly of the transfer case, so entire replacement of the unit is required. Even for leaks, Mercedes doesn't want the T/C taken apart, only replaced. Good news is, most ML's are still under warranty, but some of the earlier 98's are almost out of warranty, so now is the time to take it in and get everything fixed!
Old 11-28-2001, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Mine does that

It feels like a shudder like a car with a lousy a/c compressor kicking on. Is the transfer case that it will be replaced with updated? or is it the same crappy one?
Old 11-28-2001, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I'm not sure if it's updated. For all I know it could be the "same crappy one"
Old 11-29-2001, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Is that the right feeling (the shudder)

And is there anyway you can find out if it is updated? I always hated Borg-Warner, POS ford. So does it feel like a kia a/c compressor kicking on? (lol you know what i mean)
Old 11-29-2001, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
I could the parts department if it's updated, they would know. And no, lol, I don't know what a Kia A/C compressor feels like coming on. I've driven a new Sedona, Kia's new minivan, and I couldn't feel the compressor coming on at all. But on lesser cars like the Rio and Spectra, it probably feels like a small bomb going off under the hood? What it DOES feel like is if you put oversized tires on your ML, and when making a sharp turn, the tires were rubbing against the body. That's what a bad ML transfer case feels like. In fact, the first one I drove like that, that's what I thought the problem was until I saw it had factory tires on it. (Sorry to go off on that little tangent about Kia, by the way )