Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 300E Electric Window trouble...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 87 300E Electric Window trouble...

I bought an 87 300E in very good shape and where almost everything works and I'm pretty happy with it after a week. I didn't think the right rear passenger window worked but after switching off the child lock I was able to get it to go down from the door control itself (but not on the central console). I start thinking that this is good except it goes down but not back up. I try swapping the switch with the left side to see if that works, but to no avail and then I try swapping switches in the central console wondering if something is wierd there but also no luck. I presently have the door panel removed and the motor loose but not out (partly cuz I'm not sure how it unplugs and I'm not anxious to rip wires). 3 questions starting with the most urgent 1) how the hell do I get the window back up since I live in the wet Pacific NW and my interior looks better dry than soaked?, 2) if it's not the switches, and the motor works since it goes down, is it probably an exposed or loose wire? and 3) what kind of a psychotic German electrician needs 6 wires to make a window go up and down?
Old 04-03-2002, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 230TE, W123 280E
These motors pretty commonly die around this age, however since you got yours down i'm thinking its something else.

Often the wire crack in door jams etc, so, on the motor there should probably only be 2 wires. Swap them over and press the switch down, hopefully the widow will go up using the 'down' circuit.

As for using 6 wires to put a window up and down? Well youve gotta have power and earth, and be able to change polarity to the motor. And most importantly, a little light inside the switch!!

Trent

p.s. good luck getting the wires off the motor, they're pretty indestructable so it shouldn't be too difficult