Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 SL320
Diesel won't start

I have a 84 300D that won't start, I have discovered maybe the IP isn't pumping. How does it pump..? Is there anyway, I can get it to pump or do I have to have a professional look at it. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Acura TL 2008 - Acura MDX 2012
Google is your friend. It will take some time. but you cant buy the knowledge you will gain. and you will save tremendously by learning to troubleshoot your engine.

Do you have more specific info about the problem?
Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 SL320
I have a 84 Mercedes 300D It has been running perfectly then one day I brought it home parked it. The next time I went to start it up, it wouldn't start. The Starter was running really slow, so I replaced it and the battery was also bad, replaced it. I also replaced the Glow plugs with Pencil type plugs. I turn it over and it sounds like it wants to start, but can't.

I also checked to see if the glow plugs were getting voltage and they are. I also checked to see if the injectors were getting fuel, at first they weren't, then I used the hand pump to get fuel up to the injectors. Tried to start it and it still will not start.

I have a compression tester coming and I'm going to see if there is a compression problem, I don't know what the compression is supposed to be on a cafr that has almost 300 thousand miles on it, but Kent on the Mercedes Source says a 300 PSI reading is pretty good for one that has that many miles.

I'm almost about ready to give up on it, I've reached the end of my knowledge of Diesels. Thanks for any help.