Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light switch didn't fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK320
Brake light switch didn't fix

My wife drove our 2000 CLK320 to work the other day, no problem. Parked in covered garage. Went to leave, car wouldn't shift into gear. Told her to do the pen thing and limp home, which she did. We had replaced the brake light switch a year or so ago when we got the dash warning lights and it wouldn't shift, that fixed the problem that time. I assumed we had the same problem again so I went to MB dealer and got another switch and replaced it. Still won't shift, brake lights work, if I use over ride trick and shift it to drive it stays in low gear when I drive it. I also notice the reverse back up lights are on any time the car is running regardless of gear selection. Also, the red light on rear headrest/roll bar switch flashes like the rests are up. I can make it go off by bumping it but it comes on every time I restart car. Sometimes the ABS warnings are on dash, sometimes not. I've tried resetting ecu (?) by turning key on and holding gas pedal down, no luck. Asked if anything was spilled on console, "I don't think so". Took console cover off, didn't see any evidence of spill or moisture. Any help would be appreciated..
Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Sounds like you need a shifter, have it scanned