Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interesting automotive engineering question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
interesting automotive engineering question!

Hey guys,

I have always been perplexed with the following question which I have not been able to find the answer to. Perhaps someone here may know the answer or choose to test/research it. I find it pretty interesting a question and trust you will also:

Q: Do new brakes stop better than worn (but still within specs) brakes? I.e. does the caliper piston expending to compensate for thinner pads reduce its ability to place force on the rotor to stop the vehicle?

Should be fun and interesting to learn the result and why!

And even if you don't firmly know the answer and more importantly, the why behind the answer, all educated guesses welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,055 Likes on 976 Posts
1999 E300TD
As long as the pad has brake material there is no difference between stopping difference--the hydraulic system compensates for the longer caliper travel and maintains pressure based upon your foot pressure on the brake.

You should notice this action when you apply varying foot pressure on the brake pedal--depending upon your speed you can bring the car to a slow gradual stop or a much quicker stop by placing more pressure on the brake and not dependent upon the thickness of the brake material!!

That's my hypothesis!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 01-15-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E550C
Originally Posted by Plutoe
As long as the pad has brake material there is no difference between stopping difference--the hydraulic system compensates for the longer caliper travel and maintains pressure based upon your foot pressure on the brake.

You should notice this action when you apply varying foot pressure on the brake pedal--depending upon your speed you can bring the car to a slow gradual stop or a much quicker stop by placing more pressure on the brake and not dependent upon the thickness of the brake material!!

That's my hypothesis!!
Thanks. I'm not as confident that it results in the same stopping force but that's what we're here to try and figure out!